Saturday, March 30, 2024

Homecoming

 (Geoff writes) After over a week in the hospital, first in ICU and then Palliative Care, it is clear that all the tricks have been tried and there is nothing more they can do that can't be done at home, that is to keep Susan comfortable. She's not comfortable in the hospital because it's, well, a hospital after all. VNA Hospice Care met with us Friday and had arranged for a bed to be delivered Saturday morning and Susan to be transferred home in the afternoon.

And everything happened exactly as planned. The bed was delivered, Susan was delivered, and the Hospice nurse arrived to talk to us and give instructions for all the things I/we had to do. She suggested I get a baby monitor, a pregnancy pillow, and baby wipes. My nephew Keith sprang for the monitor, bless him. Now I've got to figure out how to use it. First instruction is "charge for 16 hours before starting". Shoulda told me that 16 hours ago. So I have to sleep tonight with one eye and one ear open?

I must say that Susan was very happy to be home. No more IV, no more waking in the middle of the night for a vitals check. Oh, and the food should be better, not to mention more channels on the TV. Maybe she can piss away all that fluid buildup that's causing her so much discomfort too.

As Susan says,

Love you all. Take care of each other.


8 comments:

  1. I’m really glad everything went smoothly today, and that Susan is where she wants to be. Great job getting everything ready, Dad. Xo Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s good news that Susan is settled. Suggest a meal that I can make for you both this week. Much love, Paula n J

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no place like home ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy it is a beautiful day today too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping both you & Susan were able to get a good nights sleep last night.
    I’m sure being at home has given you both a great sense of peace.
    I can bring down a pregnancy pillow tmr afternoon. We have them at the shop. Let me know if you still need it.

    Love & hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pregnancy pillow needed at this time. Thnx

      Delete
  6. Peace and love at home, there is no better place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the update. So glad Sue is back home. Hope things go smoothly for both of you. Want to visit but I’ll wait to harass both of you. Much Love

    ReplyDelete