Sunday, March 17, 2024

What a Night

 (Geoff writes) Susan slept like she's never slept before. It was after noon when she started stirring. When I saw her I realized something was very wrong. Yesterday she had eaten very little and complained that she was aching all over but her vitals were within normal limits. Today (Saturday) she was staring vacantly into space and just wouldn't answer any of my questions. She was very weak and trembling slightly. Then she said "Where am I?". Later she repeated the same question and by then I had put a call in to her oncologist. Then she said "I don't know anybody". That scared me.

The oncologist called back and after discussing what was going on he recommended a trip to the ER, Susan's least favorite place in the world! She was going to kill me. I struggled with that for a short time and then made the call to 911. There was no way I was going to be able to get her downstairs and into the car by myself in her condition. 

At St. Luke's they took her right in and by the time I got there she was wired up and a plan had been hatched. Now she was running a fever, her BP was low, and her heart racing. They treated it like an infection, taking blood samples to send to the lab. Antibiotics and Tylenol brought down the temp and after an hour or so her BP and heart rate returned to normal. Eventually she came out of her stupor and started talking, asking questions like "How did I get here?" She didn't remember the four Fairhaven EMTs and police officer that carried her down the stairs, the ride in the ambulance, or the admission to the ER! 

I sat with her until well after midnight and though the ER was not very busy, there were no ICU rooms to put her in tonight. Hopefully a room will open up in the morning. What a way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, right? You're supposed to end up in the hospital after it's over, not before it starts. 

So now that I've had a little sleep and a shower I'll make my way to St. Luke's and see my bride. And to my little brother, who's birthday is today, see if you can have a happy one. 


As Susan would say, 

Love you all. Take care of each other.


9 comments:

  1. Geoff, So sorry to hear about this episode.
    She came out of it, so such a relief. I admire both of you for your strength and resilience. Both of you are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sitting here at the Auschwitz exhibit in Boston reading this, daily anxiously awaiting S’s medical news. 🙏. You are both so strong and loving, having overcome another bump in the road. Sending positive juju thoughts and love. Paula n J

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Geoff, what a scary experience. So good to know St Luke's treatment worked to bring Susan's vitals back to a more normal range and got her talking again. Love to you both; our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So thankful she has you Geoff, as well as the support of the docs & nurses caring for her throughout this shitty trip you're on. We are with you both in our hearts ❤️💚

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very thankful that you're able to continue with Susan's updates. Our thoughts and prayers go with you both and we're just a text message away when you need your next bike ride.
    Love to you both, Cindy and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa… seeing this message now after our long journey home yesterday/last night. That sure sounds scary. At least Susan didn’t remember any of it! I hope she has gotten a bed in the ICU by now. We love you both so much, and I’ll talk to you soon, Dad, we’re home now. xox Deidre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geoff for the frightening update. Be happy to give you a break plus would love to see Sue. Let me know. Take care

      Delete
  8. Catching up in reverse. This must have been so scary. Sending love

    ReplyDelete