Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Two for the Price of One

(Geoff writes) It occurred to me that maybe I forgot to send a broadcast re: the latest installment. Sorry 'bout that. All that money you paid to subscribe to this blog and they totally ignore you. The nerve!

To follow up on the weekend's tsoris (See? Susan has taught me some Yiddish!), she does, in fact, have an infection. Two different bacteria have infected her somewhere in her gut. Tracking it down was the hard part. CT scans, Ultrasound, and finally an MRI uncovered the little buggers. Tomorrow they will gear up and invade their lair and suck them out of a pocket they have created in her liver. Meanwhile the antibiotic bombardment continues.

Susan has been allowed to eat now that there are no more tests. That will take some getting used to. The hospital cooking that is. Tonight's fare was a baked potato, a slab of breaded chicken, and peas, which after Lima beans is her least favorite green vegetable. All of that went untouched. The kale soup on the side was acceptable but she is pretty weak and wasn't able to finish it. I helped.

To keep myself busy, something they tell me I need to do to keep from obsessing about Susan's condition. I need the serenity to accept the things I can't change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. I have several projects going at home. I can't do anything about cancer but I can patch holes, paint, rebuild this disintegrating laptop (it's always the hinges, isn't it?), and various other domestic chores. I made a bunch of dinners that are filling up the freezer for when I'm too tired or lazy to cook. My big indulgence is my bikes. I still feel some guilt about riding the way I like to during this period. Going back and forth to the hospital in New Bedford by bike is fine but it's nothing like a soothing 50 mile ride down through the woods and meadows of Dartmouth or the Westport seashore. Then there're the cranberry bogs of Rochester and Wareham. I've missed a few nice days in the last couple weeks, but some things are more important than others.

10 comments:

  1. I’m so sorry you’re both going through this. Sending all the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff, please go for your bike rides, refresh yourself, breathe the air …. there are support people available who want to help!
    We love you BOTH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Geoff and Susan, It is hard to imagine what you two are going through, but we are grateful that you have the heart and courage to do so, and are still hopeful for a positive outcome. We are sending love and hugs and prayers and good wishes for things to start improving soon. Corinne and Jim
    Please let us know if there is anything that we can bring by for you Geoff (special food or anything) and for Susan. We know probably not food for now, but anything else that she might find distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Glad to hear they found the little buggers and hoping the antibiotics do their job! Hopefully Susan will be able to tolerate a few more bites of food here & there. As always Geoff, you and Susan are in our hearts and thoughts. Great to hear you are riding to clear your mind and feed your soul. S & P in VT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I was so sorry to learn about your illness from Geoff. I’ve read the blog. I can’t believe what you have been through and continue to endure. You and Geoff are doing an amazing job keeping all of your loved ones and friends informed of your progress. Please, if you are able to share some of your favorite recipes or take out, this community can help nourish you with something you like to eat rather than hospital grub and also take one item off Geoff’s to do list. With the doctor's permission, of course.
    Thinking of you both. Sandy M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geoff and Susan, thank you for your faithful post that helped keep us all informed. I’m sure you have no idea of the thoughts and prayers that are being sent your way by so many! Geoff, I hope you will find time for one of those long bike rides soon. You are so important to Susan‘s continued health during this fight, and you must take care of yourself for her, and for you!
    Daily prayers and love to you both. ❤️
    Love, Pippa & Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Geoff,
    Thank you so much for keeping everyone abreast of this difficult (to say the least) situation. I hope the antibiotics kill those nasty bugs. It is understandable that Susan has no appetite, given all the antibiotics she is taking. You are such a strong support for her. You need to take care of yourself, so if biking is a way to relieve some stress, do it. It is beneficial for you both. I think of you and Susan, and hope the medical team can find a way to keep her comfortable. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi guys. I'm right around the corner should you need anything. I can stay with Susan while you bike, Geoff. The care taker needs self care, too, Geoff. I am happy to wash your hair Susan, paint, read your favorite stories aloud even if you fall asleep, make a couple of veg. dishes I know about, or just sit and listen. Soon you'll be able to soak up some sun while lounging in one of your chairs. Gotta get that tan going. K. S .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the update, Geoff. So hope the ongoing antibiotic bombardment and today's suction attack are successful. Please feel no guilt in the solace you receive on those bike rides and from the wise words of the serenity prayer. Our love and hopeful thoughts are always with you and Susan.

    ReplyDelete