Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Trust

(Geoff writes) Being at home is great for Susan. She has visitors coming and going most of the time, friends and neighbors, nurses and social workers. So I have been kicked out of the house more than once to do "my stuff". That's a good thing. Yesterday I went on a longish bike ride, guilt free.

Today UPS dropped off two giant boxes full of stuff that the VNA ordered for us, way more than I have room to store in this little house. There're boxes of surgical gloves, bed pads, mouth swabs, ointments, and more. I'll have to make room somewhere. Hmm, in the empty hot tub? Maybe the back of my pickup truck? How 'bout the shower that no one uses?

All of the visitors from today have left (four in total) and I am about to gather things for supper. I don't know what she'll eat tonight, or how much. Last night we had home made pizza that P&J brought. It was very good but after only a few bites Susan nearly did a face plant and slept right through the Celtics game. It must've been the two sips of red wine she had! I finished it for her. The pizza, not the wine.

Tomorrow the VNA nurse comes and I may learn some more care giver tricks. Never did I expect to have to learn how to make a bed with someone in it, or change their clothes, or other things that she cannot do by herself. I'm ok with these things mostly because Susan is ok with them also. I'm still not proficient, but I'm getting better, and she must trust me. Now I have to wake her and see if she wants some home made soup that Suzie brought!

So, as Susan says,

Love you all. Take care of each other. 

7 comments:

  1. Good work, Dad, and glad you got out for some fresh air and a ride during decent weather!! Good for Susan having a bit of wine and pizza! We love you both. Great to see you. Xoxo Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to chat over WhatsApp this morning, Geoff. Michele and I were thrilled to spend some time together with Susan and you. Big Love, Michele & James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear all the positive news! Seems like you were watching the wrong BB game. The Iowa v LSU game was amazing! Lots of warm thoughts and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a new career in health care for you Geoff😘you can teach an old dog new tricks😆
    Good to know that you all have a village to help🥰
    Sending hugs , love and prayers to you both, love Amy and Rick

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a very good, and very loving person, Geoff, positive thoughts and love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So comfortable for you both to be at home together. Love you guys very much.💕 Joan

    ReplyDelete