Tuesday, February 20, 2024

The New Plan

 Before I begin, I would love for everyone to read this article that my  friend sent me.  It changed my perspectiive on a lot of things:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/25/having-cancer-not-fight-or-battle

It was a very busy last four days.  A stream of people, food, and most lovingly, dogs. Karrie washed my hair and Maureen gave me a fabulous haircut.  By the end of Monday, I just conked right out at 7:30 but then was up every hour after midnight in anticipation of having to get at 5am to go get the port installed.

No problem getting to Charlton. And fortunately, the procedure went as planned - for a chanage.  They did do a blood test, and my bilirubin is back up again - 6.8. But I'm still not sick. Now the question is can I get chemo?  We were out of the hospital by 11am.  I didn't get general anesthia but I did get pretty heavy sedation.  So I am still a bit wacky.

Got home, slipped into bed and I was out.  My oncologist called around 3:30 with the new plan and as wacky as I am I wanted to share.  After confering with Dana Farber, the decision is the cut the cocktail down from 3 medicines to 2.  The third one is the one that doesn't like the high bilirubin #.  It is also the harshest.  The doctors are hopeful that the chemo can shrink the tumor enough that the bile ducts can drain on their own -- no more bag!!!  When the numbers go down, they wil add the third chemo to the mix.  Let's hope they are right and something will finally go my way.  

Start sending all that good juju to shrinking the tumor.

Thank you everyone who came by this weekend.  It really helped get my mind off of all this and feel normal - whatever that is these days.  I am definitely not the same person I was a month or so ago.

Love you all.  Take care of each -s

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear that the port is in, and the chemo will begin. That tumor will hopefully meet its match and fade away, allowing the wonderful (yet icky sounding) bile to flow again.
    And you are still very much the same person. Your circumstances have changed, your attitudes necessarily altered, but I saw the same woman I've known for many, many years when we visited. The disease is a veneer, in this case an interior veneer, but it is only an unfortunate addition to the wonderful friend that you are ❤️
    Massive love, positivity & good juju coming at you, and to Geoff too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Dana Farber’s plan for you. Love the fact that they offered a solution to your treatment for now. I hope when I return, you will be up for a visit from Billie and I. Hello to The Saint. Much Love.

    ReplyDelete