Friday, February 16, 2024

Chemo Training????!!!!!

First I want to say that I am still pissed that we are not in LA playing with our grandchildren right now.  This was not what we were supposed to be doing!  However, on the good side -- I took good old fashioned American drugs and slept almost through the night.  Should feel much better today.

As for chemo training..... NOPE, absolutely not. I will not speak of it.  We sat there for almost an hour getting bombarded with: Well, if this happens do this...  if that happens do that...  I was in so much shock when we left, I could barely walk.  Don't get me wrong. Our nurse, Jen, is great and I love her but her job is to impart all this stuff - not a fun job.  So, I've decided that if and when any of those things happen, I will share.  Until then, consider yourselves on a need to know basis.

What we did find out is that I will get scanned every 4 weeks or so - that is earlier than what we were originally told.  This is to see if the chemo is working.  So I don't have to wait a whole 8 weeks before knowing something.  That was the most positive thing I took away from the meeting.

Went straight home from the clinic. Had a bite to eat and then I slipped into bed, put on a movie, and fell asleep for about an hour or so.  While Geoff, the energizer bunny, did errands.  Got the tax lady all squared away, got a haircut, finished shoveling the driveway, and who knows what else.  The man never stops.  I was watching him in the kitchen the other night.  If you've seen our kitchen you know  you can pretty much stand in the middle and pivot and reach anything you want.  Not my guy -- back and forth and back and forth -- "It's a good thing we don't have a big kitchen, there would be nothing left of you"

The saga of the elusive prefilled saline flushes continues.  Geoff found out that during the pandemic, the saline got tainted, both prefilled and bottled saline.  All the shelves were stripped, the product went into hold and never quite recovered.  Hence the high price for a plastic tube with salt water.  Sooner or later everything leads back to the pandemic.  However, we now have Vee from Blue Cross and Laura from the Visitinig Nurse Assoc who are both working overtime trying to get us what we need.  I have faith they will prevail.

Very busy weekend ahead. Visiting nurse comes this morning and then our Cape Cod friends will be down for lunch.  Steve made latkes!!! YAY!!!  Saturday our friends Maureen & Bob are visiting. Our friend and neighbor Karrie will come by as well.  Maureen, who is a hair stylist as well as a fellow thespian, has offered to cut my hair.  More YAYs.  Just what I need. Although, not sure how long I'll get to hold on to it.  We were told, some people lose their hair and others don't.  We'll see.  Some good biking buddies are coming in the later afternoon on Sat.  And on Sunday, I am finally going to see my brother and family.  Haven't seen them since this all started.  Hope I'm in good condition next weekend to see some more people. Right now, playing that day by day.

We have gathered a good list for our painting crew.  Hope some of you know how to spackle as well. If not, Geoff can do the wall prep prior to priming and painting.  Figuring this will take place around the middle of next month.  Hopefully the weather will be a little warmer. 

If I do lose my hair, anyone interested in joining a wig posse?  The only wigs I am familiar with are theater and for the most part, they are cheap and uncomfortable.  Turns out I can get a prescription for a wig - which discounts the price significantly. The perks of cancer.  Blond, redhead, blue, purple, long, short -- someone suggested Rasta - let's mix it up a little.  This could be more fun than I thought.  Also looking for folks who know how to headwrap a scarf.

Again, thank you all for wanting to help and being there when we need you.  The cards and well wishes keep pouring in.  I could wallpaper a room.  I am looking forward to having a busy weekend with lots of laughter, hugs, and love.  You may not hear from me again until Monday.  Have a fun weekend yourselves.

Love you all.  Take care of each other -s


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Enjoy your weekend! Please say “ hi” to The CC folks and Jerry and family for me! I’m happy to help on the wig scouting committee if need be. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete