Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Back in the Hospital - AGAN!!

 But first, before I forget, one of the sweetest things about St. Luke's is that every time a baby is born, they play ice cream truck music all over the hospital.  I think it's pretty cool.

Getting back to the matter at hand, getting ready for Tues morning's visit was quite strenuous.  I was literately like a rag doll.  Having not one but two episodes the night before.  Geoff walked me into the shower and basically helped me up while I tried to wash myself.  The shower chair is now back down from the attic. He also managed to get some clothes on me and we were off. I was not missing this procedure.

Fortunately, I passed all the vitals tests and then that was that.  The procedure went well.  I did have to be in recovery for 2 hours to watch for bleeding.  No bleeding but guess what?  I started to get a fever episode. No one would give me Tylenol because of my lousy liver.  After much screaming and writhing I got my pill and then moved into PAKU - another higher up recovery.  Or they just don't like people screaming around the general public,  No visitors in PAKU. Of course, Geoff broke that rule. In the meantime they did the big nose swab for all that crap floating around out there.  Clear as a bell.  Going up to the room - with the lovely Joe who might become my personal uber.

Much better room than last week.  Even have a view of the turbine stations.  Gives G something to look at.  Lots and lots of tests last night.  No one knows where the fever is coming from.  And then there was another fever episode,  And again, PLEEASE GET  ME TYLENOL, Still the same old argument  as I am shivering away.  Eventually got the pill and things settled down.

Very busy morning - Drs. coming and coming.  They are suspicious that there is bacteria in the bile duct which these massive doses of antibiotics should wipe out.  Hope so. I can't have another attack for 24 hours until I go home.

(Geoff writes: Just as Susan finished the above, she had another episode. This time everyone was witness to it and the consensus is that the bile duct may be the center of infection. This is a nasty business. They want to schedule another endoscopy and Susan is less than thrilled. 

On another note, for her Valentine's Day gift, she has an appointment with the pancreas guy at Dana-Farber on Feb. 14.)

Sorry this took so long to get posted. It's been very busy here today.

Love you all and take care of yourselves. -s

S&G


3 comments:

  1. OMG …. I’m sorry that you have to go through this on top of everything else. Dana can’t see you any sooner than the 14th. Thinking those IV antibiotics will knock out the infection … glad you’re there to get it taken care of. Lots of hugs! JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to email for news...had sooooo hoped to hear a different story than this. Onward with antibiotics & killing that infection so you can move onward to diagnosis and treatment of the non-infectious problem.
    Love love love to you both. Call anytime, though I'm imagining naps are the current priority. This being sick shit is exhausting!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. This twenty-four was a tough wokout. It reads like there are lots of delicate areas to navigate with medication and the inflammation that's being so disruptive to the treatment. I can't imagine the frustration of another return to the hospital, but isn't it fortunate that it's so close and now they've got a team on your side. It's all because of that check up...and what if you never took the time to schedule that before continuing with the plans, I hate to imagine how impossible things could have been. Probably not a coincidence at all, rather an intervention of the highest importance. This team that' forming around your situation are not being left out of my prayers of encouragement for you and Geoff 🙏 Stick together everyone.

    ReplyDelete